Top 16 List: Remembering famous lives lost in 2016

Elizabeth Czerwenka, Staff Writer and Photographer

Last year, our nation was saddened by the multiple passings of amazing stars that we have all grown to love and cherish. As we go on to 2017, let us remember all those who have passed on. Here is a list of just a few who have left us: (Ranging in ascending order of when they died). Rest In Peace to all!

1. David Bowie
    • In the beginning of the second semester of the 2015-2016 school year in January, we found out that a beloved music legend had died from his long secret battle in cancer.
  2. Rene Angelil
    • Very early on in the year on January 14th, Celine Dion was saddened when she lost her husband, Rene, at age 73 from a battle with cancer.
  3. Alan Rickman
    • At a very young age and on the same day as Angelil, Rickman, who was well-known for playing Snape in “Harry Potter”, died from a battle with cancer at 69.
  4. Nancy Reagan
    • Living a quite fantastic life as the First Lady of the United States from 1981-1989, Mrs. Reagan died in the spring on March 6th at the age 94.
  5. Frank Sinatra Jr.
    • On March 16th, the son of the original Frank Sinatra, who was also a singer, died of cardiac arrest.
  6. Prince
    • Most likely the most well-known death of the year, our music legend died on April 21st, at a very young age of 57. His death is still a mystery of assumptions and controversies.
  7. Alan Young
    • The star of “Mister Ed”, which was a show with a talking horse in black and white, died on May 19th at the age 96!
  8. Muhammad Ali
    • Known as the Boxing Genius, Ali died at the age 74 from a long battle of Parkinson’s disease on June 3rd.
  9. Christina Grimmie
    • A very sad, and tragic, death of the young popular Youtuber, who also placed third on “The Voice” as a singer, she was shot at her Orlando concert on June 11th. She died when she was only 22 years old.
  10. Gene Wilder
    • Best known as the original Willy from “Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory”, Wilder died at the age 83 on August 28th.
  11. Charmian Carr
    • The last living actress who played Liesl Von Trapp in the old, well-known film, “The Sound of Music”, died at 73 on September 17.
  12. Arnold Palmer
    • One of our very well-known golf players, referred to as “The King” of golf, died at age 85 on September 28th.
  13. Alan Thicke
    • After playing hockey with his young son, Thicke died of a heart attack at age 69 on December 13th. He was also the father of Robin Thicke.
  14. George Michael
    • The popular Christmas song, “Last Christmas” was sung by Michael’s group, Wham! He died on December 25th of heart failure. He was only 53, which led many to believe the cause was drugs.
  15. Carrie Fischer
    • Just before the new “Star Wars” movie came out, Fischer, well-known for playing the original Princess Leia, died at a young age of 60 on December 27th.
  16. Debbie Reynolds
    • Finally, but for sure not the least of all, Reynolds, who was the mother of Carrie Fischer, was planning her daughter’s funeral until a sudden stroke overcame her while she was on her plane. She was presumed dead December 28th, the day after her daughter, at age 84. She’s also popularly known for acting in “Halloweentown” and “Singin’ in the Rain”.