Golf teams and girls tennis experience season success

Bridget Lockie, Staff Writer

Throughout the summer months, Nazareth’s fall sports teams were busy gearing up for seasons that they hoped would be filled with accomplishments. And with much work and dedication, both Varsity Girls and Boys golf and Varsity Girls tennis fulfilled that hope.

Boys golf competed at the IHSA State Tournament at the golf course on Illinois State University’s campus. The team overall placed 8th in the tournament. Senior, Matthew Clark, placed 7th as an individual.

Sophomore George King says, “It was a great year we accomplished a lot as a team and individually, and going down to state was such an amazing experience and I expect to go back to state next year as well.”

Girls golf also competed at the IHSA State Tournament. This was the first year that Nazareth had the whole entire team qualify for state. The team placed 12th overall at the State Tournament.

Girls varsity tennis also had a successful season, competing in the IHSA State Tournament. This 2015 season was something special for the Girls Tennis team, because it was the first time in school history that all four spots advanced on to the State Tournament.

Singles players Julie Saladino and Carlie Wilson were accompanied by the doubles teams of Mary Mullarkey and Juliana Petrovic, and Katie Swade and Lily Franko at the tournament. The team placed 33rd overall.

Senior Katie Swade says, “We had a really exciting and successful season this year primarily due to the strength of our team as a whole, not a single individual. We were lucky enough to have a few returning and new players who boosted our level of play and helped us advance in conference and the state tournament. Overall, the season was so fun and exciting thanks to a great group of girls and an incredible coach.”
Many fall sports enjoyed lots of success this season, and Nazareth hopes for continued success as winter sports begin.