WWRD? How to not get distracted by your device

Allison Kufta, Editor

Dear Rocky,

I’m always distracted by my devices! It makes it hard for me to get anything done because everything on my phone and tablet is so interesting, much more interesting than my homework!

How can I be less distracted by my device?

– Netflix Not Homework

Dear Netflix Not Homework,

Technology is absolutely magical, especially today.

Almost everyone has a device these days. Classroom, Google drive, documents,emails, notes; all in one place, that fits into your pocket (or backpack!).

You Freshmen and Sophomores now get to use iPads to hold most of your textbooks–in a one pound piece of metal, instead of a backpack that weighs a thousand pounds.

However, what makes smartphones and tablets connected and magical also makes them distracting–especially when you’ve got a ton of homework and studying to do.  

Once, I had a biology test, but then I ended up watching a documentary about my roadrunner friends. I understand your pain! However, I’ve found a few ways to help you overcome the distraction  of your device.

1. Turn off your phone, disable all notifications temporarily, or put it into airplane mode. This method still requires willpower.
  2. Avoid the constant stream of buzzing and lights by leaving your phone in a completely different room than the one you plan to study in. Although you might think it’s easy to just put your phone and mute, you’ll probably have the urge to check it anyway. Before you know it, ten minutes have gone by.
  3. There’s an app for that! Check out Forest, (http://www.forestapp.cc/ ) an app that allows you to plant a virtual tree. If you exit the app to do something else in the 30 minute time block, your tree is cut down, which is sad. But you’ll be even sadder if you’re up until 1 a.m doing your homework. As you successfully grow trees in 30 minute time segments, your forest will grow, which is great. Technology meets nature, and you’ll be saving trees both digitally and physically.
  4. If you’re on a device that supports browser extensions, there are options such as Stay Focused and FocalFilter.
  5. Lock your phone in a safe and then it will be too annoying to fish out until you’re done.
  6. If you’re at school with an iPad/device, try to put all your social media/distracting apps in a folder and off your homescreen. This way, you’ll be a little less distracted by them.

Today’s mobile devices are enticing and exciting, but sometimes you need a little peace and quiet. Hopefully these ways will help you digitally detox and become more productive like me. Although, it is true that I don’t have thumbs.

Meep Meep,

Rocky