Should trick-or-treating have an age limit?

Anna Rafanelli, Editor

Yes, it’s that time of year again! As the temperature continues to drop, jack o’lanterns hanging ghosts, and cardboard gravestones have popped up in doorways, costumes have been bought, and the sun sets earlier and earlier each day. Halloween is fast approaching this Thursday, October 31st when thousands of trick-or-treaters across America will travel far and wide competing to get as much candy as they can carry.

It’s safe to say there are plenty of little kids roaming the neighborhoods in search of candy hot-spots on Halloween night, but what about those teenagers who decide they still want in on the fun? Shouldn’t they have something better to do than take part in a holiday generally reserved for the younger generations? Or do they deserve to go out, dress up, forget the stresses of high school for just one night, and join in on the chance to score some free candy?

Senior Kaitlyn Ryczek thinks so. “We deserve to have fun no matter what our age”, she claimed. Fellow senior Annie Canent agreed saying, “Teens just want a chance to have fun.”

Meanwhile, others seem to think its time to let go. Maura Nicholson, ’14, said, “Older kids need to let the younger kids have their time just as we did when we were younger on Halloween. Now it’s our [the teens] responsibility to give out the candy”. Pat Quinn, ’14, also agreed saying, “Once you have graduated from grade school, you’ve graduated from trick-or-treating.”

Every year Halloween is full of different kinds and ages of people, whether they choose to be tricksters or treaters. But maybe there is a certain age when it’s time to hang up the old costume, grab a bucket of candy, and stand duty at the door handing out candy to the little kids. Whether that age is 13 or 18 is still up for debate. There are always going to be teens who continue dressing up and there are always going to be teens who stay home and man the door. But there is one wonderful part of Halloween that is ageless: having an excuse to eat as much candy as you want!