What do Nazareth students really do in Study Hall?

Marisa Barranco, Staff Writer

What does Study Hall mean to you? The laid-back period can mean something different to every student at Nazareth Academy. Whether that is starting tonight’s homework or yesterday’s, everyone finds something to do during the Study Hall period.

The real question is: what really fills the 50 free minutes Nazareth students have during the school day? Is there a certain game everyone plays or is it all just studying? Do students view it as a time to kick back and relax or do they see it as a time to get their college applications started?

When asked if he used his Study Hall as a break from class or a time to work, Freshman Vince Cordero said, “I kind of use it as both. Like, if I have an assignment due today and I didn’t have time to finish it at home I’ll do it then. [But,] when I’m done with my Algebra homework I just relax and take a break.”  

If Cordero isn’t studying, he said, “I usually listen to music. I mostly just play games and watch videos.”

Seniors Angela Calabria and Danny Hawkins said they typically use their Study Hall to start homework. Calabria said that, “I definitely use it to do homework. I just took up Study Hall about a week ago for the first time since Freshman year. I find it very helpful. I took it up for the sole purpose of doing homework or getting things done in clubs.” Hawkins agreed, saying that, “I do it to get homework done. I do it [homework] by the easiest things first that I can get done in an instant.”

“I just do emails and stuff like that,” Hawkins said when asked what he did when he wasn’t studying.

Sophomore Natalie Komoll said that she sees her Study Hall as both time to take a break from classes and a time to work, ” If I have homework I got I usually do it there. If I don’t have anything then I usually just study or do something else.”

When Komoll is not studying she said she is, “Just playing on my phone.”

The general consensus for what Nazareth students do during study hall is a combination of both taking a break and working on assignments. Since the typical Nazareth school day is just over 7 hours long, it isn’t surprising students choose to both work and relax. After an intense class one might play a game of “Flappy Golf” to unwind, but for some if they have an after school activity they might want to immediately start homework.
Whatever it may be that Nazareth’s students accomplish during their Study Hall, they certainly are grateful they have their Study Hall to do it.