Student Council raises money for Wounded Warriors

Melissa Drinnon, Staff Writer

What better way to bring together Naz students, faculty, and staff other than treats and sweets? Student Council’s 4th Annual Bake Sale achieved just that by focusing on the theme of diversity, welcoming all cultures and ethnicities.

To further the focus, Mrs. Gurney, the Student Council advisor, said, “It was Nina Kesic and Danny Hawkins’ idea because of this year’s theme, for all to be one.” Students who wished to participate were required to bake treats either from their cultural or ethnic backgrounds or decorate the treats as a globe or another country’s flag. Surprised with the outcome, Mrs. Gurney exclaimed, “It was a success! We were thrilled with the response.” A number of the treats were family recipes, which added to the uniqueness of the contest.

The judges, Mrs. Murguia, Ms. Cook, and Senora Pascual, put their sight and taste buds to the test to select the winners: 1st place went to Annabella Gofis for her Baklava and Kataifi, 2nd place to Henry Adams for his Pumpkin Bundt Cheese Cake, and 3rd place to Nina Kesic for her Palacinke.

All $400 of the proceeds went to Wounded Warriors, a project that honors and empowers our nation’s wounded warriors so that they may be engaged, nurtured in their mind and bodies, and encouraged for economic empowerment. But why did Student Council choose to donate to that specific organization? Mrs. Gurney stated, “Student Council has traditionally always done something to honor the veterans during the month of November. We chose the Wounded Warrior Project because it’s here in Chicago, and we think it’s an excellent cause. It offers the wounded soldiers that come back the care and support they and their caregivers need.”

How sweet of Student Council!