Roadrunner marching band starts season off on the right foot

Meghan Sullivan, Editor

It’s that time of the year again! One of the most anticipated aspects of the fall season are football games. Here at Nazareth, the football season has already aroused much excitement. To make home games even more thrilling, the Marching Band can be found playing popular music in the stands and taking on the field at halftime.

The marching Roadrunners began their season in early August with the yearly band camp. Before the start of the school year, freshmen were taught marching fundamentals and returning students were able to get back into the swing of things. The entire band put forth tremendous effort and was able to learn their halftime routine by the end of the week.

Will Ernst, senior trumpet player and section leader, stated, “We’re taking it back to the basics so that we can build off of it. Overall, we’re going in the right direction.”

The positive attitudes of the band members also significantly contributed to the band’s improvement this year. The band arrives at each rehearsal ready to go and with an open mind. Everyone is eager and willing to work hard to showcase the talent the band possesses as a whole and make Saturday performances excellent.

Mr. Boland, Director of Bands, stated, “The band has improved greatly due to their work ethic and strong leadership. Their excitement and dedication translate into a great performance.”

In addition to working hard for their big halftime performance, the band devotes rehearsal time to both pregame and stand music. The band opens each football game with the playings of God Bless America, the National Anthem, and the Nazareth Fight Song. After performing these standard pieces, the band marches off the field and into the stands to play some of the audience’s favorite tunes.

Ernst looks forward to the opening of each game. He stated, “I love doing pregame. [Playing] the National Anthem is probably my favorite thing to do.”

Recently, the Nazareth band welcomed twenty two middle schoolers to play with the current high school students. This event, Band-o-Rama, was held on Homecoming, and was a huge success with a record number of students. The guests rehearsed with Naz band students in the morning and sat with them in the stands, anxiously awaiting their grand debut in Valenta Stadium.

Maya Krueger, a sixth grader from St. Rene, expressed her excitement for band at Nazareth. She was grateful to get the experience of a high school marching band, and looks forward to joining when she becomes a freshman. She also stated, “The people at Naz are really nice. If I got stuck on a note, the older kids were able to help me.”

Mr. Boland was also very pleased with this year’s turnout and participation in Band-o-Rama. He stated, “Band-o-Rama was a great success. Anytime we can have future Roadrunners on campus shows great potential in the Nazareth Band program. It was an honor to have them here with us.”

Overall, the Marching Band is creating it’s lasting legacy here at Nazareth through their devotion to upholding the pillars of Nazareth Academy. Each member studies and rehearses their own part, and then collaborates with the rest of the band to put on a unified performance. In staying true to these pillars, Will Ernst says it best by stating, “The audience can look forward to some great spirit and support for the football team.”

The band will continue to play in accordance with their theme for this year, Led Zeppelin, throughout the remainder of the football season. Be sure not to miss one of these outstanding halftime performances by the Roadrunner Marching Band!