Student Spotlight: Lindsay Zasadzinski and Lauren Wajda’s History Fair project takes them to Maryland

Jacquie Skokna, Editor

The Chicago Metro History Fair process is a long one, beginning in October and lasting until, well, in this case, June 13. Students choose a topic of interest and illustrate in detail its historical significance, whether it is through an exhibit, documentary, or research paper. Current seniors Lindsay Zasadzinski and Lauren Wajda exemplified innovation, intelligence, and dedication last year in their project “William Wrigley Junior: The Pioneer of Advertising.” The national theme for History fair was Turning Points in History; Zasadzinski and Wajda chose Chicagoan William Wrigley for their project, whose gum revolutionized advertising worldwide. Mrs. Hawkins and Nazareth Academy were proud to acknowledge these girls as National History Day Qualifiers this past May.

It may be hard to understand how much of an accomplishment this is, but this is a very prestigious title, as only a small amount of students in the entire state of Illinois were selected. The girls were not really expecting such an advancement, evident when they heard their names called in Springfield at the state fair.

“I was surprised,” Lindsay admits.

“I was like, what do I do?!” laughs Wajda.

However, after great success in the Nazareth, Regional, City, and State History fairs, the two best friends had the amazing opportunity this summer to travel to College Park, Maryland for the National History Fair. While the girls left a day late, they still experienced an exciting four days after their drive from Chicago. On Monday they attended an ice cream social with all the finalists, and even met a few people from Illinois.

“Some of the contestants stayed in the dorm at University of Maryland, but we stayed in a hotel,” clarifies Lauren.

Tuesday was judging day, where countless teachers and historians pored over their assigned projects. The incredible talent was definitely present to not only the judges but the finalists as well. Zasadinski and Wajda described projects with unique topics and layouts.

“There was one that had to do with women’s clothing; they had an old fashioned dress ironed [beneath] the captions. Another one was about the impacts of Dr. Seuss and had this amazing lighting.”

While their project was being judged,the girls decided to get “lost in the university for a couple of hours.” They witnessed the beautiful campus of University of Maryland, met more friends, and visited the gift shop. Lindsay’s eyes lit up when she mentioned the gift shop and the school’s mascot.

“There was this one shirt that we found…It said ‘fear the turtle.’ I got a kick out of that.”

Even though this trip was school related, it’s clear that the girls still had plenty of time to have fun, relax, and joke around.

As National finalists, the girls also had the opportunity to attend the Smithsonian National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C. for free. Here they watched various historical movies and T.V. shows, and even gazed at popular icons like Dorothy’s red slippers and Kermit the Frog (both from the actual movie/show).

There were no two people who were more deserving than Zasadinski and Wajda. Both girls emit such a light-hearted and humble attitude toward the history fair process and their major success.

For example, Lindsay spoke for her and Lauren when she said: “Looking at all of the regional projects, I kept thinking: ‘They’re gonna beat me, they’re gonna beat me, they’re gonna beat me…’ and then — *laughs*.”

Unfortunately, the girls didn’t receive any major award or recognition at the National History Fair, but they were still proud of themselves, and looked at other students with admiration.

“The projects there were really hardcore. Some projects were just amazing. I don’t even think they worked on it themselves. I’m sure the parents had to help!” Lindsay joked.

For any current juniors who will begin the exciting history fair journey, the girls suggest seeing Mrs. Hawkins often for corrections and feedback.

“Wewent to her like a lot and she helped us. Also, try to make the exhibit not just a poster, but stand out more – more 3D. Ours was… nice and neat, but there were so many other [projects] that added so much to it to make it better.”
Members of the girls cross country team and involved in many other activities such as Youth Initiative and NHS, Lindsay and Lauren are finishing their last year at Naz with the same unwavering enthusiasm and hard work their history fair project called for.