Student Spotlight: Matt Henick

Erin Getty, Editor and Writer

Have you ever wondered how much preparation it takes to set up each Nazareth sporting event?  Well, Junior Matt Henick could tell you.  For three years, Matt Henick has enthusiastically worked behind the scenes at every Nazareth athletic event.

He works in the athletic department, carrying out technical work for athletic director, Mr. Buturusis.  Along with his production of sport events, one of his main accomplishments was implementing a new online registration system for athletic sports and summer camps, and managing the new Nazareth Broadcasting Team.

His job began in 2011– the summer after his eighth grade year.  Matt’s sister Catherine Henick was in a dilemma: she had worked for Mr. Buturusis in the athletic department, but could no longer help him because she had recently graduated.  She told Mr. B that she thought her brother, Matt, could help him instead.

Matt was the perfect man for the job.  In fact, Matt had been fascinated with technology since he was a little kid.

“Throughout my childhood, my father–a telecommunications system administrator– brought home broken computers,” Matt recalls.  “I always played with them, and at the age of eight, I actually fixed one.”

Ever since the moment he made the computer screen light up, Matt has been attached.

Now Matt focuses his passion for technology on helping Nazareth sport events.  Along with setting up and taking down football tents and other physical elements of the games, Matt’s job is to check all the technical equipment–such as the sound systems and the scoreboards.

One of his favorite jobs is to prepare all of the football prayer services.  Before every home and away game, Matt assembles the podium, projector and microphones in the auditorium.  He often aids the priest with his material as well.  Thanks to Matt’s work, the entire football team can come together and watch inspirational clips to get ready for their games.

Another new project that Matt Henick has been in charge of is Nazareth’s Broadcasting Club.  During the Winter Season last year, the girl’s basketball coach asked if one of the games could be recorded.  It started with an iPad, and now the broadcasting of Nazareth sports events is done with the latest recording equipment and microphones.

The events are displayed online at High School Cube.  Matt is the essentially manager of the broadcasting.  He schedules the events, makes sure enough people are there to produce it, and troubleshoots– meaning, if something goes wrong, Matt is always there ready to fix it.

“My experience working at Naz has taught me a lot of skills about dealing with other people,” Matt explains.  “I’ve made a lot of connections with companies that the athletic department uses, and I feel prepared to take the skills outside of Nazareth some day.”

Matt hopes to use his acquired skills to become an owner of his own company in computer and technological support.  Although he is undecided as to where he will attend, Matt plans on majoring in Computer Science or Computer Systems and Telecommunications Management.  Indeed, his favorite class at Nazareth is Ms. Biga’s Computer Science Class.

Matt Henick’s ideas for technological improvement have greatly influenced Nazareth sports.  The Athletic Department and all Nazareth sports players and fans are grateful for his work.