Cross Country runners reflect on race to state

Sarah Reynolds, Staff Writer & Editor

From all fall teams of Nazareth Academy’s athletic spectrum, players’ dedication has undoubtedly been proven in victory after victory, some going so far as to compete at State, notably, cross country runners Junior Johnny Bareis and Sophomore Clare Ramsey.

Bareis describes the atmosphere at State: “[It] was electric. I’ve watched the State meet before, and there is around at least 500 to 600 people who come out and watch each race. However, running in it, the times are faster, the runners are more determined, and the people are yelling and screaming the entire time . . . The amount of excitement that surrounds the State meet is crazy. The intensity level is unbelievably high”

Representing Nazareth Boys Cross Country, Bareis admits to being nervous the morning of the meet but says that he smiled and took in the experience as soon as the gun went off.

“Mentally, during a race, it’s one of the hardest things anyone can ever do. The hardest part [of a three mile race] is the second mile. The first mile is ran off of anxiety energy, the second is off of guts, and the third is off of adrenalin”

Having vigorously trained for State, Bareis finds the honor of having competed in the prestigious race rewarding due to his season practice schedule. “On Mondays it was up-tempo runs, repetition speed workouts such as 800’s and 1000’s on Tuesdays, four to five miles on Thursdays, team workouts on Fridays and races on Saturdays,” he stated.

Accompanying Bareis to Peoria was his entire postseason team and coaches who played a large role in his journey to the final race, “As a senior, I will cherish the aspect of teamwork. Without my team this year, I would have never made it down to State or achieved what I did. Because of them, I’ve realized that I can accomplish great things in my life, but I know now that our team in the future can look up to my experience [competing at State] and aim higher.”

Echoing this sentiment, Ramsey compares other meets to grade school races when held up against the enormity of the State meet.

Running since fifth grade, Ramsey’s goal of her high school cross country involvement evolved from a soccer “stamina-shaper” to participating in a Nazareth program she looks forward to all year and hates to leave, declaring, “It has grown to be one of my passions and I can’t wait for the next season already”

In addition to an intense training schedule, her development from starting off as just another athlete looking for another sport to a State-competing runner personally fulfilled her impressive season.

Attributing a role in her success to coaches Wejman and Gonzalez, Ramsey comments on the team dynamic, “We are all extremely close and we look out for each other. We bonded so much this year through each tough workout and each hard race. So many girls on the team this year improved so much, it was a great thing to watch”

Coach Gonzalez furthers Ramsey’s statement, praising the team on making it to State as well as stating, “This group of girls puts in so much work. Not only does it show in the statistics, additionally, these scholar-athletes can compete at meets as well as in the classroom: they achieve impressive grades while also achieving impressive records at races like no other team at Nazareth Academy”

Ramsey’s favorite moment of the season was making it to state, especially when the Nazareth Girls Country Cross team was “called for being third in the Sectional . . . I turned around and looked at our coaches; the expression on Mr. Wejman’s face was priceless. That’s when I knew the hard work we had put in over the summer and throughout the season really paid off.”

Both Bareis and Ramsey state that the work ethic developed as a cross country athlete cannot be attained in any other sport.

Ramsey says, “No matter how impossible or daunting a workout seems, you just put your head down and push through the pain.”

Coach Gonzalez concludes with a simple offer to all interested students: “Everyone runs; we have no bench. Whether you can run a mile in six minutes or twenty-six minutes, there is a spot for you on this team.You will come out of each race an improved runner and individual.”

Humbly adding to Nazareth Academy’s list of athletic achievements, the success of this season’s country country program leaves behind a swift legacy for future teams; runners now enjoy a well-deserved breather at the end of the finish line.