Nazareth rally falls short to Sycamore

David Klinger, Staff Writer

Coming into the game, it was clear the 10-seed Nazareth Roadrunners were the underdogs to the 2-seed Sycamore Spartans. Although the Roadrunners were on a six game winning streak, they didn’t seem to stand a chance against Sycamore’s unblemished 10-0 record, in which not one team came within 10 points of beating them. Since Sycamore has not only made the playoffs five out of the last six years, but won four state titles under head coach Joe Ryan, some even assumed this game would be a blowout – and though they were right about the general outcome, there’s no doubt they were they were dead wrong about the quality of the game.

Nazareth quickly started off the match by intercepting Sycamore quarterback Devin Mottet on only the second play from scrimmage. Mottet had come into the match as a game-time decision due to a shoulder injury, but nonetheless contributed to his team by finishing with 198 passing yards, 2 touchdowns, and even 66 rushing yards on 17 carries.

After the interception, the Roadrunners and Spartans traded possessions until Nazareth caught fire with a 44-yard pass from junior quarterback Jonah Beauduy to senior receiver Doug Difusco. The reception was one of three for Difusco, who totaled for 69 receiving yards by the end of the game. His catch led to a Beauduy rushing touchdown on the very next play, putting the Roadrunners on board for a 7-0 first-quarter lead.

Sycamore quickly answered back, rushing their way into the endzone on a 3-yard run by junior running back Riley Hurley. It would be the first of three touchdowns on the day for Hurley, adding to a total of nineteen on the season.

After once again trading possessions, Sycamore capitalized on a Nazareth fumble on special teams, setting them up for a passing touchdown to senior wide receiver Ben Niemann. Niemann was also a multi-touchdown scorer for the Spartans, finishing the match with 6 catches for 169 yards and 2 touchdowns. Although Nazareth blocked the point-after, they nonetheless trailed 13-7 heading into the half.

Another Hurley touchdown put the Spartans up 19-7, but Nazareth quickly cut it down to 19-14 on a Julian Love 34-yard touchdown run. After the score, the Roadrunner defense came up with a crucial stop that led to yet another Nazareth rushing touchdown on offense, giving the Roadrunners a 21-19 lead. However, this lead would soon be lost, as they fumbled on the second play of their next drive, setting Sycamore up for another score and a 25-21 lead. Things kept getting even worse for Nazareth, as six plays later, they fumbled a fake punt attempt, allowing Mottet to hook up with Niemann for their second touchdown of the day. With a score of 33-21 with on 5:19 left in the 4th quarter, a Roadrunner rally was looking nearly impossible.

Yet possibility stood no chance in the path of inspiration for the Roadrunners. In his turn of Nazareth’s three-quarterback rotation, sophomore quarterback Carson Bartels strapped on his helmet with a look of unshakable determination and threw a 35-yard, high-sailing touchdown pass to receiver Kevin Jackson in only a matter of one minute and fifteen seconds. At 33-28, the relentless Roadrunners refused to slow down. Even when the onside kick was recovered by Sycamore, their defense stepped up and provided the team with a three-and-out. With under three minutes to go, Nazareth would be getting the ball back.

Carson Bartels once again completed a deep throw, this time to Julian Love to put the Roadrunners on the 50 yard line. With the clock ticking under a minute, the Roadrunners had to assemble as quickly as possible. After an incompletion, Bartels stood in the shotgun on fourth down and fired a laser over the middle to Love once again, but Love was unfortunately unable to hold onto the ball. Just like that, the glory run for the Roadrunners had come to an end. 33-28 Spartans. Ball game.

Although it had to come in such a heartbreaking fashion, the Roadrunners surprised many, taking on a gritty, power-running playing style that brings almost all its key components back for next year. Instead of feeling sorrow or despair, the Roadrunners should take on hope, and a balance of satisfaction of their accomplishments but hunger to do more next season. As for head coach Tim Racki, he’s currently feeling a share of all the aforementioned emotions – but none more evident than that of pride.

“They gave max effort, full speed and never quit,” Racki said. “That’s how this team is. I’m not the least bit disappointed in my kids.”

Surely, neither are we – because although they lost, the sorrow they feel for a few days will soon be overshadowed by the memories that will last a lifetime.

Nazareth Key Players:

QB Jonah Beauduy: 2-2, 61 pass yds, 5 carries, 25 rush yds, rush TD

QB Carson Bartels: 4-9, 138 pass yds, pass TD, INT

Kevin Jackson: 2 catches, 52 yds, receiving TD

RB/WR Julian Love: 15 carries, 104 yds, rush TD, 1 catch, 17 receiving yds

Sycamore Key Players:

QB Devin Mottet: 9-15, 2 pass TDs, INT, 198 pass yds, 17 carries, 66 rush yds, 3 fumbles

WR Ben Niemann: 6 catches, 169 yds, 2 receiving TDs

RB Dion Hooker: 14 carries, 88 yds

RB Riley Hurley: 6 carries, 14 yds, 3 rushing TDs