Featured Athletes: Sam Brown and Linnea Rohrsen

Q & A with Nazareth Varsity Volleyball Players

Sydney Stancik, Sports Editor

1. Seeing as though this is your senior season here at Naz, how have you two watched yourselves and the volleyball program as a whole grow in the past four years?

Sam: I feel like every year we progressively get better as a whole. We had some freshmen play with us my sophomore year and I feel like you grow bonds with the girls on the team and become very comfortable with each other. Myself as a player, I have grown more and more into the leadership role, especially now as a senior.

Linnea: In the past four years, the volleyball program has grown tremendously. Each year, the players are better than ever and help to build a culture of hard work and commitment in the gym. The program has gotten better year after year and now people are starting to recognize Nazareth volleyball. I have seen myself grow from being a freshman who did not understand the game as much to a senior who knows much more, particularly how to be smart on the court.

2.  You both have committed to play NCAA Division 1 volleyball next year, Sam to Youngstown State and Linnea to Purdue, why these particular schools?

Sam: I really loved YSU! I was looking for a school that was big yet had everything on campus, rather than spread out. The coaches at YSU were really nice and I just felt comfortable with both them and the team.

Linnea: I chose Purdue University for a variety of reasons. One being that Purdue is in the Big Ten Conference, one of the best conferences in college volleyball, and that it is also paired with an amazing coaching staff. Additionally, I chose Purdue for its academics. They offer a very good program in what I want to major in. In essence, I get the best of both worlds: competitive volleyball and a great academic program.

3.  You both play for First Alliance Volleyball Club, how long have you been playing there and how instrumental have the coaches been in developing the players you are today?

Sam: I have been playing for Lions Juniors/First Alliance Volleyball Club since fifth grade, so I was ten when I began playing club ball, but started playing altogether in third grade. I feel most of the coaches have made me the mentally strong player I am today. I can handle anything they throw my way. I am also one of those players who actually enjoy listening to coaches, which helps me both on and off the court. I have always been told that I am a natural leader, so that is something that has always stayed with me.

Linnea: I joined First Alliance when I was fifteen years old. The coaches there have without a doubt made me the player I am today. All of the coaches have pushed me each and every practice and tournament to be better than the day before. They have taught me to value the opportunities I have to play. In addition, they have taught me all the skills necessary to be successful at that next level.

4.  Who or what first influenced you to play volleyball? When was that?

Sam: My oldest sister Nicole started playing and then the trend just carried over onto my other sister Brittany and then finally onto me. I have loved the game ever since. I started playing grammar school ball in third grade and then in fifth, began club ball, in addition to playing on the seventh grade team with my sister Brittany.

Linnea: I was first encouraged to play volleyball when I tried out for the fifth grade team at my grammar school. It seemed like fun to me and I figured it would be a good way to meet new people.

5.  What is your favorite, most vivid memory in your volleyball career thus far?

Sam: My most vivid memory is when I was thirteen, Nationals were held in Louisville, Kentucky and we took third place. We won Bronze medals! It was very exciting because at thirteen it was a lot to handle, but awesome that we actually brought home a medal because Nationals were considered the “big leagues”.

Linnea: My favorite, most vivid memory was when my team, this past season, qualified to go to Nationals in Dallas, Texas by winning a bid. Only the most elite teams earn an opportunity to compete in the national tournament.