NHS hosts annual Blood Drive

Amy Erickson, Staff Writer

On Friday, March 7th Naz held its annual Blood Drive. Students who were 16 and older were able to sign up for the drive the week before it was held during all lunches and if the student was under 17 had to have a permission slip signed by a parent or guardian. The drive was held in the Rooney Student Center, and students were eager to donate and give a helping hand. Participants got a slip during homeroom the day before the drive that gave them the time that they were going to be giving blood. Once they got to the drive, the workers would prick the participant’s finger to test their iron level to make sure they were in the healthy level of 12.5 for iron. If they did not meet this requirement they would not be able to donate their blood. If the students did meet the requirements then they would lie down on a table, and the worker would start to take their blood. Once they were done donating their blood, the students were given a bag with a couple of snacks and had to stay a while before they were able to head back to class just to be sure that they would not pass out.  The blood drive was a major success with many students and faculty participating. Due to this participation Naz was able to make a difference in many people’s lives.