Nazareth celebrates Founders Day

Monika Miranda, Staff Writer

Nazareth Academy is known for its high academics and competitive sports, but did you know that Nazareth has two sister schools? Saint Joseph Academy in Cleveland, Ohio and St. Joseph’s Academy in Baton Rouge, Los Angeles are also foundations of the Sisters of St. Joseph.

Saint Joseph Academy was founded in 1890 and is an all girls school. St. Joseph’s Academy was founded in 1868 and is also an all girls school. The school’s mission is “to educate young women as responsible and unifying members of the world community.”

Although Nazareth Academy is not an all girls school anymore, it still holds a bond with its sister schools. All three of these institutions were founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph.

On October 15, Nazareth and its two sister schools celebrated Founders Day. On October 15, the congregation of St. Joseph was established in Le Puy, France in 1650. This day was the beginning of incredible religious and educational achievements.

Since then, the sisters have spread and brought the word of God to numerous places. The sisters have made education of great importance and have influenced the thousands of students who have graduated from these schools.

To raise awareness of and appreciation for our sister schools, photographs of the front doors of Nazareth and its two sister schools have been put on display in the Media Center.