Library is Revived through Abe Lincoln Nominees

Jacquie Skokna, Editor

It seems strange, but many Naz students, including myself at one point, made a shocked and confused face when they heard someone say, “You can actually check out books at the Naz library.” Nazareth is centered on academic success, and rigorous homework and research papers exemplify the hard work this takes. Likewise, reading for fun is encouraged as it usually provides some type of intellectual benefit. However, it seems the library remains primarily a place where students can socialize during study, catch up on the latest gossip, and sometimes do homework. Last year NEHS had a committee which raised money for Young Adult books and promoted usage and activities in the library. Their success was clear, but change is still gradual.

This fall, though, our librarian Mrs. Lorraine announced Nazareth students’ opportunity to vote for the book nominees of the Abe Lincoln Award. Established in 2005, the Abe Lincoln Award is inspired by former president Abraham Lincoln, a fellow Illinoisan and “self-starter and avid learner,”  as Mrs. Lorraine points out. She registered Naz last spring with the Illinois School Media Library Association (ISMLA) and applied for a grant which allowed us to be apart of voting.

Mrs. Lorraine’s hard work in achieving this grant is definitely worthy of praise. It is an act to, yes, promote the library, but more importantly reach out and connect to the 800 young adults that walk the halls of Nazareth. The nominated books contain topics pertinent to our age group, with an exciting variety of topics that guarantee something for everyone. At the same time, “the Abe Lincoln nominees are a great way to get kids – who maybe don’t usually come into the library – to check out books.

Yes, of course parents and teachers often highly encourage teens to take a break from technology and read. But our librarian explains that there is a deeper significance than what teenagers might acknowledge:

“In terms of what’s beneficial about the library [and] reading is that it provides, I think, limitless possibilities for thinking and for even creating… if you don’t read, especially fiction, I don’t think that you have the ability to be a really innovative thinker in any subject, whether it’s math or science, you always have to have that spark, right? That idea. Reading fiction is a great way to kind of nourish that spark and get that idea.”

So far, this project looks like it has brought more life to the book shelves of the library and will continue to do so in the future. Take advantage of this great opportunity and the power of voice; voting does not end until the last week of February, so you still have a lot of time. Reading one of the nominated books over Thanksgiving or Winter Break would be perfect if you are currently struggling with time management.

Using the Naz library for its books and reading still may not be the most popular activity, but with such a great program like this, the future looks optimistic. Everyone may not be a reader, but that creative spark present in fiction and even non-fiction pieces scattered throughout the library indeed offers “limitless possibilities.”

List of Abe Lincoln Award Nominees:

Wintergirls by Lauren Halsie Anderson

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Ashes by Ilsa Bick

Hate List by Jennifer Brown

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Room by Emma Donoghue

Stupid Fast by Geoff Herbach

Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony Jon

Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King

Everyday by David Levithan

Legend by Marie Lu

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga

Purple Heart by Patricia McCormick

Cinder by Marissa Myer

Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

The Pregnancy Project by Gabby Rodriguez

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Marcelo in the Real World by Fransico X Stork

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

How to Save a Life by Sara Zarr

How to Vote:

Log on to www.nazarethacademy.blogspot.com

“Does my vote matter?” Yes! Every vote counts, and without students voting, there would be no award.