International Students take Nazareth by storm

Meghan Sullivan, Editor

Between homework, sports, and after school activities, the commencement of a new school year is challenging for anyone. However, a group of students carries the added burden of acclimating themselves to an entirely new education system and culture. This year, Nazareth welcomes a variety of international students from countries such as Vietnam, Germany, and China.

In addition to changes in the classroom, foreign students also must adjust to a new schedule. In their home country, they typically attended school for long periods of time, inhibiting them from participating in many clubs. At Nazareth, they are eager to get involved in the various activities offered, such as the spring musical and sports. On the other hand, international students also miss the activities they participated in prior to attending Nazareth. For example, Cici Huang, junior, states, “I really miss playing ping pong.”

To assist international students in transitioning to America, last year Nazareth began Culture Club. The purpose of this group, moderated by Senora Pascual, is to discuss holidays and traditions of America, along with the events and activities at Nazareth. Senora knows that these students are “thrown into a new culture and experience culture shock.” In order to help ease culture shock, one activity the club did last year was pass out a list of slang expressions commonly used at school.

Current Naz students play a fundamental role in the club by answering the international students’ questions on American culture in a comfortable setting. Upholding the Nazareth pillar of Unity, Culture Club strives to get international students accustomed to one another and the Nazareth community.

Overall, the international students have gotten off to a wonderful start. Making new friendships and beginning new activities, they are eagerly awaiting everything else this year has in store for them. Without a doubt, the international students have begun to create their lasting legacy here at Nazareth.