Awesome Autumn Activities

Marisa Barranco, Staff Writer and Assistant Editor

‘Tis the season for Pumpkin Spice Lattes and changing leaves! Every season comes with its own flare and events, but Fall has some of the more versatile. You can do activities in cold or warm weather and during rain or shine. Below are just a few of the things that you can do in Autumn to make it even better.

1. Go Apple Picking

Fall is prime time for apple picking. The apples start to ripen, and now with all of the other additions to apple orchards like corn mazes, jumping pillows and petting zoos, the experience is even better. Luckily, Illinois has plenty of orchards to choose from. If you’re looking for something to do, check out Apples on Oak and Honey Hill Orchard.

1. Try Horseback Riding

While you can do this any time of the year, Autumn is the best time to do it because you can get the effect of the changing scenery. Also, the cool weather will be invigorating while you do it! Visit the nearby Memory Lane Stables in Willow Springs.

1. Go to a Football Game or Play in One Yourself!

If you go to Nazareth Academy, I’m betting that you’ve already been to a football game at least once this year. Even if you have, playing one with your family is fun bonding experience that can be played on holidays or any fall weekend!

1. Watch Some Good Movies

When it’s too cold outside, snuggling up under the covers with a good, hot apple cider and watching movies set in the fall is something you shouldn’t avoid. Some good ones to see or rewatch are Good Will Hunting, Dead Poets Society, and the Netflix series Stranger Things!

1. Raking Leaves (and Jumping into Them!)

Raking leaves is about the most typical fall activity you can do, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t fun! If you don’t have the money to go apple picking or horseback riding, raking leaves is an easy substitute and it’s close to home. Not only that, but you can have some fun while doing yardwork.

1. Bake Pies

Most people have pies for special occasions, but you don’t have to wait for Thanksgiving or Christmas to make a pie. If you’ve gone apple picking (even at the local grocery story), then you can use those apples to bake an apple pie, or buy some canned pumpkin and make a pumpkin pie! Why wait for the holidays to have something delicious?

Autumn is often overlooked compared to other seasons, but make sure to enjoy this one while it lasts! We know that Nazareth students definitely will.