Nazareth classrooms experience range of temperatures

Xinxic Chen

Mr. Drinan shows of his relatively new air conditioning unit. Mr. Drinan prefers cool temps to keep everyone focused.

Allison Kufta, Editor

In various classrooms and buildings of Nazareth Academy, there are multiple climates to be found. Seasons play a large part in shaping the forecast in classrooms, although the walls seem to have a magnifying effect–much to the dismay of students and teachers. Complaints about the temperature can be heard year round, especially since temperature is relative and there is always someone who isn’t content at any given point.

Now, we will explore the dynamics of temperature control of Nazareth Academy. The quality of the climate varies from department to department.

After entering Nazareth from the great outdoors, Springer Hall treats you with its warmed floors and welcoming atmosphere. Because many people fill this space, it is usually warm and comfortable. When people open the door to come in, they bring in the much needed fresh air to keep Springer Hall’s temperature regulated. K1, as a whole, controls its climate quite nicely, but how about other places at Nazareth?

The Media Center, which greets you shortly after you walk up the main stairs, has air conditioning, which means it is a place at Nazareth that you can comfortably take refuge in when the heat spikes. However, can there ever be too much air conditioning?

The Math department has also been blessed with air conditioning. Mr. Pete Drinan describes his classroom, K205, as “cold [and] frigid; the frozen tundra”, which many students would agree with. To maintain the refreshing and crisp learning environment, Mr. Drinan keeps the windows open, even in the winter.

Occupying the other side of K2, the English department unfortunately does not have air conditioning. Because of this, the temperature wildly fluctuates with the seasons. Ms. Jeanne Paliatka, of room K206 comments that her classroom is “brutally hot in August and September. I dream of getting air conditioning one day. I am jealous of the Math department.”

Upstairs in the Science department, Mr. Sean Banasiak of room K312 shares a similar story. He says that temperature “depends on the time of year. It’s cold in the winter, hot in the summer.” Many students would most likely agree to a scientific experiment with school wide air conditioning.

M building, which is quite old, but will be renovated soon, definitely has temperature control issues. The radiators of M303, Mrs. Laurie Stanton’s room, start off the morning by creating a rather toasty environment. When walking into homeroom March 14th, Mrs. Stanton exclaims, “It’s so hot in here!”
Although the school experiences wild and distracting variations in temperature, air conditioning is quite expensive. Also, there are a few things students can do to make themselves more comfortable. In the winter, try wearing one or two of Nazareth’s comfy fleeces. These can be found in the N Zone. For the warmer months, bringing a water with ice or an ice pack can help keep you cooler.