Heavy workload doesn’t stop Naz students from acting

Chrissy Turek, Editor

One of the many great things about Naz students is their willingness to get involved. However, this involvement comes at a price for some students. For others, though, involvement in school sponsored activities is just the tip of the iceberg. Many upperclassmen hold regular jobs and volunteer positions on top of their school activities.

Senior Claire Ryan balances her homework with school clubs, dance, piano and voice classes, community theater, volunteering, and being involved with Nazareth Drama. While some students may be struggling with simply going to class and finishing their homework, Claire and many other Drama and sports participants balance their school work with practices and performances. During the average day, Miss Ryan goes to school, attends a meeting after school, goes home for about an hour and does homework, then returns to school for two hours of play practice. She does not return home until about 9:30 pm, and at that point, she finishes her homework, and like all seniors, works on college applications. Claire usually does not get to sleep until around 11:30. On average, Claire, as well as many other students, gets about two hours of homework a day, but is able to work on it during play practice when she is not on stage, proving her skill in time management.

Like her good friend Claire, senior Christiana Romano also balances her acting with involvement in many school clubs and activities as well as taking ACT classes and participating in community theater. Her daily schedule does not differ much from Claire’s; however, that does not mean that all of the actors and actresses follow this schedule.

Senior Bobby Vondrasek works hard in school, participates in the play and works at the  Learning Express. He, like many other participants, shares a car with his family, so not only does he have to work around his own busy schedule, he also must work around his family’s schedule. Bobby also makes time in his schedule to go on social media web sites and watch tv, but this comes at a price. He usually does not get to bed until 1am. He is able to make this time because makes sure to do his homework right after school and during play practice when he is not on the stage.

Christie and Claire have similar pieces of advice on how to deal with homework and their busy schedules. Claire puts it simply, “Use your time wisely,” and Christie expands on the same thought, “Don’t procrastinate. Make sure you get it done. The longer you wait, the longer you’ll be up getting it done.” The girls have had three years to perfect the art of getting their work done and participating in all the activities they do. Their teachers are all amazed by the students and all they do. Mrs. White, the director of the drama department at Nazareth, states, “I am always amazed at how the kids do it!  Their work ethic is awesome. It actually seems that sometimes the student’s grades are better when they are the busiest. Because they have no time to procrastinate, they have to find time to do everything.  And they have to organize themselves and their lives.” And organize they do! Many of the actors and actresses have their lives planned down to the minute.

Regardless of the large time commitment, many students audition for the play and musical each year. The best advice Christie can give anyone who wants of try out for this year’s musical, Shrek, is to “step out of your comfort zone and show everything you can. You don’t want to regret not doing anything.” Bobby gives similar advice, “don’t be afraid to give it your all.” Claire, on a different note focuses on her attitude when she auditions. She advises anyone trying out for the plays and musicals to “have a positive attitude because people can see it.” For those interested in auditioning for the plays and musicals, following the advice of these stage veterans is important in the audition process.

After months of hard work, the fall play, Rumors will finally hit the stage for all to see from Friday, October 25, to Sunday, October 28, and this year, there will be a special understudies performance on the afternoon of Sunday, October 28. This performance will be directed by senior Ben Otto.