10 things every junior should know for senior year

Nabor Garcia, Staff Writer

Finally. You’re halfway through junior year, the hardest year of high school due to the dreaded ACT among other things. But once you get over that hump in April it’ll be okay, because you and your friends are going to have the summer of your lives when you go to Lollapalooza and a bunch of other fun events. Coming back to school in mid-August you’re planning to cruise through senior year because everyone says senior year doesn’t matter… right? WELL THEY’RE WRONG. Lucky for you, I composed my top ten things a junior should know for senior year. And let me just say kicking back and cruising is not an option.

1. Choose your classes wisely for senior year

By now you should’ve already heard about all the AP classes and electives you can take next year. You can even choose not to take a math, language or science class (whichever one you hate the most). Choose these classes wisely people because you don’t want to pile on so many AP classes that you end up dropping them. Remember you’re going to need A LOT of time to fill out those college apps. If you’re going to apply to very competitive colleges DO NOT drop a class and replace it with a second study hall. Colleges consider study halls as a waste of time even though you might actually use it to do homework. It’s a good idea to only take one study hall and choose an elective to show colleges that you’re still going strong in a year when temptation to kick back is stronger.

1. Start to consider two teachers

Next year you’re going to need two letters of recommendation, so you should start to think who you’re going to ask. Once you come up with two great teachers, make an effort to do well in their class (if you aren’t already). Participate as much as possible, get good grades on every test, quiz and assignment. Now it might sound like I’m telling you to be a teachers pet but I’m not. Just try to create a bond with these teachers where they know you outside of the classroom and so they have very good things to say about you in the letters. By no means should you feel the need to bring them an apple or any kind of gift because then you’ll be considered a teacher’s pet, and no one wants that annoying relationship. So please keep the fruit at home.

1. There are other tests beyond the ACT

So by now I’m positive that you guys are aware of the ACT. But there are other tests you should consider before or after taking the ACT. There’s the SAT, SAT subject tests, and AP tests if you’re taking an AP class. Make sure you look at the application requirements of your schools to make sure you’re taking the right tests for them. Do not be like me and wait until the last minute and find out that you need to take two SAT subject tests and then have like a month to study for them. Take these tests like two or three times and STUDY for them. I didn’t study for my second ACT and it was a waste of time because I got a lower score than my first time.

4.College visits matter and they help you choose where you want to go

This summer plan a trip to some colleges you’re thinking about. If they’re close, road trip with some friends and go check out the campuses together. You may like looking at pictures of the campus online but trust me it’s better when you get to see the environment around the campus. Most colleges will give you a tour of the campus and even take you into some of the dorms. Plan something out with your parents and try to tackle like 5 different colleges in one weekend.

1. The Common App is your friend

The Common App will be your friend throughout this whole process. If all your colleges are using the Common App then thank the Lord because then you’ll only have to have one set of account information and one application on hand and not a bunch of others. Try to fill out the whole Common App once it becomes available around August. DO NOT leave this until the last minute. Please. Fill it out and then sit back and relax.

1. Finish the essays as soon as possible  

There are going to be a lot of essays and a lot of different essay prompts. What I recommend is to go on the Common App and look at each and every school and make sure to see the essay prompts for each school if they have any. Then you should make a folder on your drive for all the essays and make separate documents for each essay. Write your essay for the specific prompt and make sure you know the word limit. Write the essay and leave it there, then come back the next day and read it again and make changes to it. Try to at least edit the essays 3 times and then when you’re ready copy and paste it onto the Common App. The quicker you finish the essays the more time you will have for friends so get to it.

1. Early Admission vs. Regular Admission

So you have two options when it comes to applying at your college. You can either apply early or regular. Early admission does have its perks over regular like higher acceptance rates and scholarships but you will have to finish all the applications like around september or october which is pretty soon if you ask me. If you’re still planning on taking the ACT like in september or october I would recommend to apply for regular admission. Many schools have regular admission due by January 1 so it gives you much more time than early admission. Choose whatever you like, if you’re more laid back like myself then you should go for regular admission that way you have more time but if you can’t wait to get accepted go for early.

8.Interviews are a great way for colleges to know you  

Once you apply to some colleges they will send you an email about having an interview. Once you get the email try to set up the time and date as soon as possible because interviews will boost your application a lot. Colleges take what you say into account and it can really help to get into that dream college. Most interviews will be with former alumni that will then call the admissions office and give them a report of you. These interviews are sometimes at a public place like a coffee shop or at some office building downtown chicago. Either way don’t be nervous, be yourself and just show them how good you are.

9.Pay attention to Scholarships and FAFSA

This is a short one. Look for scholarships on Zinch and apply to as many as you can. It’s practically free money. Also some scholarships are given to you when you get accepted so don’t panic because almost everyone gets a scholarship here and there. Once January 1 hits the famous FAFSA application opens and you should try to fill it out as soon as possible because it’s money from the government but there is so much money they can give out so the quicker you submit it the more money you will get.

1. GRADES STILL MATTER

Senior grades still matter especially if you’re applying for regular admission. Many colleges will be asking for either your first quarter grades or first semester grades. These grades are crucial. Colleges want to see that your are still pushing yourself and trying hard in your classes. Even second semester grades matter because once you get admitted to a college they want to make sure you’re not failing any of your classes. In fact you can even get rejected from a college that already accepted you if they see you’re failing your second semester classes. Keep going and don’t stop till the end. Trust me.