Student Spotlight: Q & A with Devonte Dunn

Sean Wagner, Staff Writer

Did you know that current Nazareth star Devonte Dunn is cousins with ex-NFL star Troy Polamalu?  Fun facts such as this were revealed while interviewing Junior Devonte Dunn who discussed football and his personal life, all while sharing some quick facts about himself.

Why do you play football?  What inspires you?

Devonte: “I have been playing football since I was 5 years old. It’s in my blood, my cousins are in the NFL, my dad used to play football, and my mom played rugby. That’s what inspires me to play football to this day.”

Do you prefer playing offense or defense?

Devonte: “Now that I’m used to playing on both sides of the ball, I love playing on both offense and defense, but if I had to choose, it would be defense.”

Is it hard to transition your mentality of being scary on the field to being a nice and funny guy in school?  Is football a way to vent?

Devonte: “ It’s not really hard to transition myself from on the field to off the field. My parents raised me well enough to be a gentleman off the field but be a beast on the field.

What was it like playing in the state championship game last year?

Devonte: Playing in the state game was a great experience, being able to play at the University of Illinois was amazing. The crowd was huge, and the atmosphere was great. Playing at state was the most memorable moment I ever experienced, and I will never forget it.

Do you feel that you guys can return to the state championship despite losing all of the seniors?

Devonte: “ I think that we could make it to state, but right now we’re taking it one game at a time.”

What teams in the regular season are you most excited to play against?

Devonte: “I’m most excited to play against JCA. They have a great team and that’s going to be the game to watch this year.”

Who is the “sleeper player” on the Nazareth football team? In other words, who has made a huge impact that nobody expected, or has had an impact bigger than expected?

Devonte: “The sleeper player, I think, has to be class of 2018 Sophomore Gavin Smith. Gavin has worked really hard over the summer to be at the starting position as a center, and it’s showing when it comes to game day. I think Gavin is going to have a great year.”

Have you gotten any college offers for football?

Devonte: “Yes, I have got my first college offer over the summer from Indiana State University.”

What other clubs or sports do you do?

Devonte: “I do track and field and Youth Initiative.”

Why did you and the other football players living in Plainfield and Naperville decide to come to Nazareth?

Devonte: “I felt like Coach Racki and the Nazareth family welcomed me with open arms, the education was great, and I felt like Nazareth was the right place for me.”

So far, what has been your favorite year?

Devonte: “My favorite year at Nazareth had to be my Sophomore year.”

Sox or Cubs?

Devonte: “White Sox.”

Favorite music artist?

Devonte: “My favorite artist would have to be Fetty Wap.”

Devonte Dunn: He’s humble guy, star athlete, and encompasses the four pillars of Nazareth Academy–Scholarship, Service, Spirit, and Unity.