Epics Club sparks interest in helping the community

Emily Williams, Staff Writer

“We’re using our creativity to make things to help other people,” Dr. Zasadinski states. EPICS otherwise known as Engineering Projects in Community Service works towards helping the community using science.

EPICS has approximately twenty five to thirty students currently involved this year, ranging from freshmen to seniors.  Zasadinski added, ”You don’t have to be good in science, to do it. You don’t have to–you just have to be creative, and have ideas. This way it’s very hands on and we’re using our creativity to make things to help other people.”

This school year is the first official year of the EPICS club. The club worked with Caring Places For Kids and made educational games to make the children want to learn. Also, EPICS’ work with Caring Places For Kids encouraged volunteer tutors at the site to continue tutoring the kids.

Currently, moderator Dr. Zasadinski claims, ”We are going to design a show, perform, and show them (the kids) demonstrations.” She also goes onto saying, ”We also are working with ASPIRE, which is an organization that helps disabled adults. So there, we are developing games so they can learn skills in a more fun way.”

With the school well under way, Nazareth students involved in EPICS have already enjoyed many wonderful experiences. The club is open to advocating for anyone who is in need.  EPICS makes helping people delightful, while still incorporating science and engineering. “When you’re an engineer you are designing things. So you have to be creative, you have to test things out, and see what works. Whenever you’re doing a project, you’re doing the exact same thing,” Dr. Zasadinski concludes.

EPICS club is a great way to assist the community positively. Also, to live up to one of Nazareth pillars of Service. The different projects the EPICS club has done and plans on doing in the near future are a wonderful way to show how Nazareth students are rooted in their morals.