Single Gender vs. Coed High School

Megan Heurich, Staff Writer

I blatantly remember telling my mom I would never attend an all-girls high school, but as January test day rolled around I found myself walking into Mount Assisi Academy at my own will.

As I told family and friends about my high school choice, many questioned it and continued to do so as high school progressed. “How will you survive without boys?” “That’s weird!” “Isn’t school boring?” “How do you do it? I never could!” “Isn’t there a lot of drama?” were the most popular.

As a student that has now experienced the best of both worlds, single gender and coed schools, I can share my insight while busting some single gender myths.

Uniform and dress codes were very strict, and Mr. Mark Szczepkowski, religion teacher who formerly taught at an all-girls institution, agrees. No I.D.? Demerit. Non-uniform sweatshirt? Demerit. Non-regulation shoes? Demerit. Short dress at homecoming? Disappointed nods as you are handed an old graduation robe.

“They [administration] were obsessed with the uniform code. Nazareth students follow the uniform code more than the girls at my old school,” Szczepkowski said. I am unsure why these codes were so strict, but I feel that violating them was our way to secretly rebel.

The atmosphere at Mount Assisi was casual and comfortable. “There was no pressure to look a certain way since we were around all girls. Most of us would roll out of bed, brush our teeth, put on our uniforms, and leave,” Senior Gabriela Suarez said. Although my morning routine has not changed since I transferred, I do feel that I need to start caring about my appearance.

However, adding males to the classroom does bring another interesting perspective during discussions along with some humor. I do find myself not participating in discussions as much now, though.

Personally, the most exciting aspect of transferring to a coed school was probably having our own football team. It actually put “homecoming” into the homecoming dance and brought the school together in many ways. Since my arrival, the school spirit and pride at Nazareth has been through the roof, a feeling that I never really felt at Mount Assisi except for Spirit Week.

Spirit Week consisted of a multitude of costumes and events. Students and teachers dressed as animals, Michael Jackson, nuns, and senior citizens, and faculty versus student volleyball games and dance offs took place. I was surprised when only a select few went all out during Nazareth’s spirit week.

Overall, both schools were great and I would not trade them for the world. Single gender schools are not for everyone, but they provide a one of a kind experience that one must experience for themselves.