“Hamilton” takes on Chicago

Kathleen Nolan, Staff Writer

The hit Broadway musical “Hamilton” that has truly been taking the world by storm since it opened in February, 2015, is finally coming to Chicago.

“Hamilton” is a unique hip-hop/rap musical written by Lin Manuel-Miranda that follows the personal and political life of Alexander Hamilton, the first treasury secretary of the United States. The musical focuses on Hamilton’s dramatic, thrilling, and tragic personal and political life, highlighting his friendship-turned-rivalry with Aaron Burr, becoming George Washington’s right-hand-man, and showing his struggle to create America’s financial system. The show also covers how the treasury secretary balanced these political issues with his marriage to Elizabeth Schuyler, his scandalous affair with Maria Reynolds that put his entire career on the line, and the raising of his son Philip.

Sophomore Ke’la Anderson notes that “Hamilton is such a great show because it takes basic history and makes it into something deeper and more meaningful.”

Although the life of the man on the ten-dollar-bill may not seem especially interesting to everybody, “Hamilton” is sure to please everyone from history buffs, to drama lovers, to hip-hop fans. It even earned a record-breaking number of 16 Tony Award nominations, winning 11 of them, including Best Musical.

One of the main reasons “Hamilton”  has been so popular is because of its hip-hop/rap soundtrack. In addition,  its ethnically diverse cast strays from the traditional dynamic of live theatre and combines the culture of the earliest days of America with contemporary American culture.

Modern hip-hop and rap music are rarely featured in the world of musical theatre, and a show entirely based off of these two genres was almost completely unheard of before “Hamilton.” It’s only natural that this unique blend of classic and contemporary culture will be featured in Chicago, one of America’s most culturally unique cities. “Hamilton” is yet another incredible piece of art that will make the dynamic and culture of Chicago even more diverse and exciting.

Junior Grace Calabria remarks that, “I really like Hamilton because I think it’s an entertaining way to learn about history while also enjoying musical theater. The music is great and I’m super excited to see it again in Chicago!”

“Hamilton” officially opens in Chicago at the Private Bank Theatre on September 27th, 2016. The incredibly talented cast features Miguel Cervantes as Alexander Hamilton, Joshua Henry as Aaron Burr, Ari Asfar as Eliza Hamilton, Karen Olivo as Angelica Schulyer, and many more brilliant Chicago actors and actresses. Tickets may be expensive, but “Hamilton” has not only blown away the nation, but changed the face of musical theatre forever.