Homecoming festivities leave lasting impression

Sydney Stancik, Editor

With Nazareth’s continued success on the gridiron, Student Council sought to extend this atmosphere of school pride and spirit through this year’s homecoming theme, Friday Night Lights: Naz Forever.

Throughout the planning process, Council brainstormed ways to “embody the rich tradition of Nazareth pride,” says Vice President Maggie Harrington. For those unfamiliar with Friday Night Lights, it is the story of a legendary high school football team in Dillon, Texas but more importantly the story of the incredible camaraderie and community surrounding the school, much like that of Nazareth. This homecoming week was chocked full of various spirited activities, all culminating in the much-anticipated JCA football game on Saturday and that night’s homecoming dance.

Friday Night Lights boasts a heavy country influence which is something Student Council incorporated into their planning. On Monday, October 6th, students and faculty had the opportunity to dress down and crack out their best flannel and finally had an opportunity to wear those cowboy boots sitting in the back of their closet. Tuesday’s lunches offered students the opportunity to showcase their arms in a rousing game of football-themed Bozo Buckets.

Thursday students once again dressed out of uniform and sported (no pun intended) their favorite athletic jersey. Additionally, during Thursday’s lunches, students competed in a football ring toss game as well. Thursday students were also encouraged to participate during lunch in a “guess that country tune” contest and Council raffled off two Demi Lovato concert tickets.
Friday, per Nazareth tradition, was WALK day! Student Council worked in conjunction with many different Nazareth clubs and organizations, such as the Freddie Fanatics, drum line, and Cheer to name a few, in order to prepare a wonderful pep rally. Following the conclusion of the pep rally, students as always marched out onto the streets of LaGrange Park humming ‘O’ Nazareth.’

After the Walk, Student Council encouraged all students to hang around and take advantage of the second annual Naz Fest. Organized by senior Carl Robst and many other Stuco members, Naz hosted nearly a dozen different vendors such as Paul’s Pizza, Tropical Sno, Home Run Inn Pizza, Fontano’s Subs and many more. Naz Fest experienced tremendous success in its inaugural year and “we hope that this is the start of a new Nazareth tradition,” said Robst. Live music was also played by Nazareth’s own John Gurney ’06 and his bandmate, Tyler Filmore who have just released their first album, The Lookout (thelookoutmusic.com).

On Saturday at 1:30, the Freddie Fanatics encouraged all to come out to the much-awaited homecoming football game against the Hilltoppers of Joliet Catholic. The Fanatics showed up in great numbers, outfitted in country-western apparel to support our Roadrunners on their conference-clinching victory.

Now at the dance itself, the DJ was a hit but it was the ping pong tourney that truly stole the show. Students crowded the cafeteria to watch their classmates face off in what turned out to be a hilariously good time and made for many good pictures.
Overall, this year’s theme “was created upon the ideals of pride and spirit and Student Council hopes that the Nazareth community demonstrated these traditions all throughout the week” says Student Council moderator Mrs. Kathy Gurney, “and that this year was one to remember!”