‘Grease Live’: The good and the bad

Grease Live: The good and the bad

Gianna Gordon, Staff Writer

Tell me more, tell me more! How Was ‘Grease Live’ you may ask? Well, honestly after watching, it had me saying, “show me more, show me more.”

As an extreme ‘Grease’ enthusiast, knowing the musical word for word, character by character, and scene by scene, ‘Grease’ live caught my eye the first time I heard about it. Bringing back the old memories of watching ‘Grease’ just about everyday, and falling in love with Kenickie all over again was exciting.

With a stellar cast ranging from Julianne Hough as Sandy and Vanessa Hudgens as Rizzo, to not so well known in my books Aaron Tveit as Danny Zuko, the heart throb, and Elle McLemore and Patty Simcox, this far more amped up Musical, compared to the original was nothing short of Grease Lightning.

Overall, the characters were not only well casted, but well played. If a viewer went into watching Grease live with no Grease background, they would most definitely be caught up in exactly how Rydell high was, back in 1978.

Being a Julianne Hough enthusiast for her many roles she plays as a country singer and Dancing with the Stars judge, I was anxious to see exactly how she was going to pull off being Sandy. After all, being the face of ‘Grease’ has to come with some responsibility. Hough not only looked like Sandy in all levels, but she also sung “Hopelessly devoted to you”, in exact comparison to Olivia Newton John, and that’s impressive.

Hough as Sandy was awesome and all, but the serious talk was all about Vanessa Hudgens as Rizzo. From Gabriella in the High School Musical series to being Rizzo from the wrong side of the tracks in ‘Grease Live,’ Hudgens looked almost exact to Rizzo, and played her just as well. Singing “There are worse things I can do”, towards the end of the movie, to being the girl everyone around town talks about, Hudgens dug deep into character Rizzo and did a phenomenal job at it. The news of the night was surrounding Hudgens, who got a phone call an hour before the show began, informing her that her father lost his battle with cancer and passed away. I can only imagine how hard it was to make it through the show, but she managed all while adding sass to her role.

To sum it up, my opinion stands clear: anything Grease related wins in my books, but ‘Grease Live’ truly did win. The characters were spot on, the costumes were just like the original, and the jiving was still rocking. This spin off definitely qualifies as a must see.