Student Spotlight: Chris Tovar

Student Spotlight: Chris Tovar

Erin Getty, Editor and Writer

Chris Tovar has been a valuable addition to the Nazareth Academy Boys Soccer Team.  For the past four years Tovar has been a Varsity Forward and has received many recognitions: All- Conference, All- Sectional, All- Tournaments, and many Honorable Mentions.  His numerous goals as a forward helped Nazareth win the Regional Championship in 2010 and led the team to have favorable seeds in the playoffs ever since.

Tovar anticipates his team competing well in the IHSA Playoffs during his senior year as well.  In fact, the Nazareth Boys Varsity Soccer Team has already won 7 games.

Tovar’s personal aspiration for his senior year is to beat the Nazareth Scoring Record of 33 goals.  With 15 scores already under his belt, Chris Tovar is almost halfway to making history!

In the Spring, when Tovar is not playing for Nazareth Soccer, he plays a travel league called Oakbrook Soccer Club.  The team practices three days a week and has tournaments most weekends.

“Soccer takes up a lot of my time, but overall I don’t know where I’d be without it.,” observes Tovar.  “It helps me get through all my bad days.”

Tovar is thankful that his older brother, Sergio, inspired him to begin playing.  As an infant, Tovar was mesmerized by the way Sergio forcefully blocked and defended soccer balls.  When Chris Tovar reached the age of three, he began to mimic his brother’s actions.  His first, weak kicks were the beginning of a life-long passion.

“Soccer has always been a big part of my family,” recalls Tovar.  “I remember when Sergio, me and my sister would play soccer in the house.  The game never ended until we broke a bunch of items, like vases and picture frames.”

Practice with the family helped Chris Tovar become the talented player he is today.  In fact, he wishes to pursue his passion for the game by playing soccer in college.  Tovar is interested in Rockhurst University, Villanova University, and the College of William and Mary.  As he prepares for his future after Nazareth Academy, it is clear Tovar will leave a great legacy behind.