Road to state part two: defending the title

Bridget Lockie, Staff Writer

This year’s Nazareth Academy Football team is packed with talent. The team competed well and made a statement in regular season play, ending with a record of 7-2 (5-2), in conference. The Roadrunners are now gearing up for an Elite Eight matchup in the 5A state championship series.

In the team’s first round game against Sycamore, they defeated the Spartans 38-6. Following up that victory, the Roadrunners went on to defeat Solorio 43-3. Both of these victories were well played games for the Roadrunners.

This upcoming Saturday, the Roadrunners will kickoff against the Joliet Catholic Academy Hilltoppers in a quest to keep the Road to State alive. These teams met earlier this season in Joliet at Memorial Stadium.

Nazareth got off to a slow start, enabling the Hilltoppers to race to a 31 to 0 halftime advantage. Rather than mail it in, the Roadrunners fought hard in the second half. In the end they ran out of time, ultimately losing 38 to 35. Sophomore center, Gavin Smith, said, “Our team is looking forward to an opportunity for redemption against the Hilltoppers and I believe it will be a great matchup for a Quarter Final game.”

The Roadrunners will face JCA in LaGrange Park at Valenta Stadium this Saturday, November 14th at 1:00pm.  Make plans to support the Roadrunners, as the team works hard to keep their state title hopes alive.