Should the news be re-titled: The Bad News?

Sarah Reynolds, Staff Writer

Everytime we gather around the T.V. to watch the nightly news featuring Brian Williams, or sip a cup of coffee while reading the Sunday paper to catch up on worldly events, content broadcasted to the general public encompasses negativity. In the midst of difficult economic times, constant fear of one’s neighbor, and a struggle for purpose, the upset response to such depressing information does not come as a shock to citizens of an evolving society; however, a new theory recently surfaced: perhaps humans actually prefer dark news.

According to psychologytoday.com, “Media studies show that bad news far outweighs good news by as much as seventeen negative news reports for everyone good news report.” Although criticized for meaningless plot lines, the immense viewership of reality shows can attest to how drama captivates humans. Cat Klostermann, a Naz sophomore concurs:  “You always hear about the negatives because it [the news] is always more dramatic to explain negative stories rather than the positive [ones].”

Members of society function on the safety of facts which guide our decisions. Born with an instinct to survive, humans believe what we are told, often times not verifying the credibility of sources; yet, whenever humans sense danger we flock to gather the facts. Like moths to light, humans are drawn to drama. Acknowledging this universal characteristic, news stations focus their allotted time on segments designed to enthrall their viewers and satisfy their anticipation of theatrics. Alex Ziegler, a Naz sophomore, remarks, “Never can you turn on the Chicago news without seeing a story on gang violence, robbery, or a recent murder.”

In addition, members’ of society desire the assurance that “things could be worse.” Listening to news anchors relay breaking news of a car accident, natural disaster or a shooting, relieves internal doubt about our own lives and increases our appreciation of life’s simple treasures. On a positive note, this amplifies our humility and possibly, the way we treat others.

A final suggestion: humans may resort to publicizing the dark aspects of society because all of the feel-good-stories are kept hidden. Society fixates itself on it’s  faults to the extent that it fails to recognise it’s many accomplishments such as: people everywhere pushing the limits of what was originally considered impossible. Maggie Dolph, a Naz sophomore reiterates, “ I believe that the news does focus on the negative, because we are always hearing of protests, murders, and fires. When we do hear something positive, it is a small gesture made by a certain type of person, not the action of the masses.”

Instead of centering on the proven reality that humanity will never achieve complete perfection, news reports should showcase the relatively-unknown triumphs and talents of society’s members. Coexisting together for the reminder of our lives, why shouldn’t we spend that precious time highlighting each other’s positive accomplishments? NBC, ABC, time to change your teleprompters.