Naz students participate in Moody Mega Math Challenge

Xinzic Chen, Staff Writer

On February 26, seven seniors represented Nazareth Academy to participate in the annual Moody Mega Math Challenge, AKA “M3 Challenge”. This is a mathematical modeling contest for students to work as a team and to tackle a real-world problem under time and resource constraints. The topics from the past years cover various areas, for example, the 2015 challenge asked the participants to find out whether a 4-year STEM college education really is worth its cost. This year, the seven seniors encountered a question about how to distribute the federal government funding to five different national parks based on their risks of natural disasters, tourism incomes, and the potential factor of global warming. Ms. Kathy Biga, the instructor of this contest, divided the seven contestants into two teams, who then built math models within 14 hours and also wrote a 10-page paper to help illustrate their ideas. According to Ms. Biga, the contestants could not seek any assistance from anyone during the contest, their only resource was the Internet. Although it proved hard for them to solve problems completely on their own, the M3 Challenge is a great way to improve the students’ creative thinking skills and their abilities to make real-life applications with the knowledge they learn at school.