Flooding in Baton Rouge impacts St. Joseph’s Academy

Bridget Lockie, Staff Writer

Baton Rouge, Louisiana is the capital and second largest city in the state. In mid-August, the city experienced devastating and torrential flooding. The flooding destroyed homes for some, and many others lost their treasured possessions. According to ABC News, thirteen lives were lost in this tragedy. With that being said, the support Baton Rouge has received has been great. Additionally, its residents are hopeful that this catastrophe will strengthen Baton Rouge in the long run, making for a more united city.

One of Nazareth’s sister schools, St. Joseph’s Academy, who is also sponsored by the Congregation of St. Joseph, was greatly affected. St. Joseph’s Academy is located in Baton Rouge, LA. The high waters and flooding has taken a great toll on many of the students, faculty, and staff’s homes. Nazareth Academy’s Principal, Mrs. Deborah Tracy, said that the Nazareth community has reached out to the St. Joseph’s in Baton Rouge, offering help and donations at this most difficult time.

Specifically, several Nazareth clubs and different groups of students have organized various items and sentiments to be sent down to St. Joseph’s Academy. For example, Campus Ministry sponsored a monetary collection. In addition, the Nazareth community donated gently-used spiritwear items to be re-sold in Student Council’s Spirit Wear Drive. The profits and the unsold items will be sent to SJA, as well as a banner to go along with all of our donations.

Although this devastating flooding brought much destruction into people’s lives, the hope that many have to make the best of the situation is reassuring.