Students and teachers consider keys to time management

Maddy Schierl, Staff Writer

Often one of the biggest adjustments that students face when they enter their freshman year of high school is the increase in their work load. Homework can take hours longer than students were used to spending on work during grammar school. Adding extended sports practices, multiple clubs, and more social opportunities can make for a stressful transition for some freshmen. Megan Seyer, now a sophomore at Nazareth Academy, says, “Coming into freshman year I’d say one of the hardest things to do was to organize my time in order to complete all my work on time.”

Fortunately, Ms. Augustyn, who is a freshman English teacher at Nazareth Academy, has some helpful time management tips to share. Ms. Augustyn’s honors class is assigned about two and a half hours of homework a week, usually with no time dedicated to homework during class. It may seem daunting at first, but there are plenty of tools available to students that will help them succeed in properly managing their time.

The first tool that Ms. Augustyn urges students to take advantage of is their planner. “The first step to proper time management is organization,” reminds Ms. Augustyn. Students who write down all of their assignments won’t lose silly points for late work, and they won’t end up doing more than they are required to do, either.

Once students have all their assignments laid out in front of them, they can prioritize and systematically go about completing their assignments. In my experience, prioritizing is also a huge help in properly managing time. I try to get my hardest or most tedious subjects out of the way first, while I am the freshest and most attentive.

In addition, it is very important to choose a quiet workspace free from distractions, in which a student can really focus and concentrate. Ms. Augustyn recommends limiting phone use while working and, if possible, putting your phone in a different room so as to cut down on distraction. Working in a distraction free space helps students to complete their work faster and more efficiently than they would if they were checking their phone every two seconds. If you just can’t attain this type of space at your home, the school library is open most days before and after school, and offers a perfect atmosphere for getting work done.

The final and most underutilized tool that students have available to them is their teacher. Contrary to popular belief, teachers are not just available for asking course content questions, they also can help students create comprehensive, informal schedules that help with time management. Coming into freshman year, it is understandable that some students are a little timid when approaching their new teachers. However, teachers (especially teachers at Nazareth Academy) are always happy to help any student who is struggling.

If you find yourself struggling with properly managing your time this year, be sure you are using all the tools available to you; such as your planner and your school library. Also, be sure to see your teacher for help if you are struggling. It is important to understand that becoming a good time manager will not only benefit you in your years of education, but throughout your whole life. Plus, managing your time properly will leave you more room to do the things you enjoy! Developing your time management skills is truly an investment towards future success.