Kelli O’Laughlin’s Light, Never to be Extinguished

Courtesy of: posttrib.suntimes.com

Courtesy of: posttrib.suntimes.com

Sarah Reynolds, Editor

A light radiating as vibrantly as her golden hair and spirit, Kelli Joy O’Laughlin’s legacy shone into the hearts of her beloved neighbors, friends, and family as the sentence that found John Wilson Jr. guilty was read to the courtroom, convicting the ex-con of first-degree murder, armed robbery, residential burglary and home invasion.

However, this ruling did not bring quick consolation to the family of the slain Lyons Township Freshmen. After three years of trying investigation on the 2011 stabbing death of Kelli O’Laughlin in her Indian Park home during a burglary, Brenda O’Laughlin, Kelli’s mother, said in an article for The Sun Times, “Justice will never be served because Kelli will never be coming home.”

Kelli’s parents took time after the verdict to thank the prosecutors, police, and everyone whom comforted them, insisting that their support allowed them to persevere. Indian Head Park Police Sgt. James Clendening and his men pinned O’Laughlin’s Mass card to a board in police headquarters – signed by all officers under a quote that reads “Kelli, we never gave up”.

Yet Kelli’s grandmother Carole Pankow summarized the repercussions of reliving the tragedy each day of the trial, “[it] tore our family apart.”

Wilson refused to stand throughout the trial, as rising is requested of all the courtroom when the jury departs, continuing the spectacle after the jury announced the guilty ruling of all four counts after a mere two hours of deliberation.

Wilson was sentenced to 160 years in prison.

Assistant State’s Attorneys Andreana Turano and Guy Lisuzzo breathe sighs of relief, a finished fight, well-fought. During closing arguments regarding the disposal of Wilson’s possibly, bloodied-shoes, he shouted, “You all weren’t looking for the shoes.”

Defense attorneys emphasized the DNA-proven purity of their client’s clothing and that no one could evidence seeing blood on Wilson’s clothing the day of the murder, despite testimonials of sighting Wilson.

Lisuzzo played security clips taped at a 7-Eleven and CTA the night of O’Laughlin’s murder, claiming that Wilson’s small talk with a clerk about spouses and the need to escape is him arranging a “window into what he did that day.” However, Wilson refused to take the stand and face questions of his doings that fateful day.

John Paul Carroll, a defense attorney, questioned Kelli’s mother’s actions upon returning home to discover her daughter dead in a pool of blood by playing the 911 call in which Brenda refuses the dispatcher’s advice to turn Kelli onto her back. Her reasoning is that there was too much blood and that she could not emotionally take in the scene until emergency services arrived. Utilized by Carroll, this crucial decision further supported his claim that the O’Laughlin family staged an incident to cover their daughter’s suicide.

The fact that considerable concentrations of money were left untouched, hinting that money did not serve as Wilson’s motivation, buttressed the defense’s case. Only foreign coins, Kelli’s cellphone, loose change and one-dollar coinage were reported as stolen.

Lissuzzo repudiated the claim that O’Laughlin’s parents created a cover up by pointing out that Brenda admitted, in her 911 call, that Kelli’s death might have been a suicide; she declared that the frantic nature of the call could be attributed to shock and the fact that “her world had just been blown apart.” In addition, Lissuzzo argues that money should not excuse Wilson for his heinous crime.

Corroborating details such as DNA found on a red cap -theorized to have been wrapped around a rock and thrown into a window in order to gain entry into the O’Laughlin household-, cell phone towers’ records, and witnesses that claim to have witnessed Wilson in the neighborhood the day of Kelli’s murder point to Wilson as the sole suspect.

Disturbing texts sent by Kelli’s phone, after her death, one of which read: “she wanted to tell you something before I killed her.” sealed Wilson’s sentence.

Nazareth student Maggie Dolph comments on the case,“I don’t think justice will be served until the whole process is over and the family can get closure. What that man did was sickening…I hope what he deserves is properly given in the end.”

“Devastation.” remarks Nazareth teacher Mrs. Stanton, “The devastation endured by that family…I can’t imagine it.” Mrs. Stanton recalls the morning Kelli’s death became public: “As a freshman homeroom teacher, I had previously heard about the murder on the morning news. Several girls knew her and the Nazareth community was saddened by such as tragic loss, especially those who knew her personally, confusion overcame them as they gathered together for guidance and support.”

When asked as a religion teacher, if Wilson’s punishment will give peace to the O’Laughlin family, Mrs. Stanton replied, “That family on the news, they are so strong. All I can say is that only time, support from the community, and love for their daughter will give them strength to keep her in their memory and that they must use that empowerment to move forward.”

Meghan McGarry, Nazareth sophomore, attended Highland’s Middle School, the school Kelli O’Laughlin also graduated from. Meghan reflects how deeply Kelli’s death affected the entire community, “It’s extremely horrific that someone so young and full of promise could have their entire life snatched away…I remember [that] the day after Kelli passed, all of my teachers were very upset and [that] there were grief counseling sessions in the cafeteria for anyone who needed [them].”

“It’s amazing, though, how the community united to support Kelli’s family and friends.  There were white and purple ribbons tied to fences and trees all around town for months.  On her birthday, April 2nd, the community joined together at the park next to Kelli’s house and held a memorial in her honor where we released balloons, shared stories, and celebrated her life.”

The Kelli Joy O’Laughlin Memorial Fund, run by her parents whose mission “is to give young people opportunities to develop their greatest potential of friendship, kindness, leadership skills, confidence, as well as education”, organizes events such as the “Run for Kelli” which is to be held on November, 16th 2014.

Kelli’s legacy continues to shine through her father’s words: “For her smile, her friendship, and for her laughter.” Her qualities of goodness will overcome death’s bounds by memorializing her spirit whenever a smile, friendship, or laugh is created.

Kelli’s light will never be extinguished, aflame through the love she encompassed and the love the Nazareth community kindles for Kelli and her family.