Student talents bloom in “Little Shop of Horrors”

Evan Sellas, Meghan Rooney, Camille Theriault, and Bridget Adams-King shine as Orin Scrivello and the Doo Wop girls.

Meghan McGarry, Editor

The Nazareth Academy Theatre Program is presenting “Little Shop of Horrors” this fall and excitement is in the air!  “Little Shop of Horrors” is a musical comedy about a giant man-eating alien plant.  I was fortunate enough to be cast in the show as an understudy for the Doo Wop girls and I am also in the ensemble, therefore I can tell you firsthand that this show is going to be fantastic!

When asked why she chose to do this show, Director of Naz Theatre Mrs. Kim White said, “I had never done it before and I’ve always liked it. This summer I went and re-saw it at Little Theater in the Square in Sullivan, Illinois, and I really did enjoy it again.  It’s something different.  I like doing small musicals every other year and it’s Halloween weekend!”  This creepy yet hilarious musical is the perfect way to get into the Halloween spirit with the odd events that unfold on Skid Row after a total eclipse of the sun.

The cast has been hard at work, rehearsing five days a week and learning music, choreography, and acting out scenes from the show.  The talent in this group is palpable.  The dances are extremely impressive as most of them are very quick paced and require a lot of agility and coordination.  I know from personal experience that dancing quickly and correctly and with attitude while singing in three part harmony is no easy feat, yet the Doo Wop girls and understudies are mastering it quickly.  The other characters in the show also have to dance and sing at the same time but you would never know how strenuous it is because of how well they execute it.

Also, the music is amazing in this show.  Little Shop of Horrors has numerous great songs in it that the audience is sure to fall in love with.  The actors are such incredible singers you are guaranteed to get goose bumps at some point.  Not only are the members of the cast talented in singing and dancing but they are also comedic geniuses.  Why work out when you can get a six pack from laughing while seeing “Little Shop?”  I’m not the only one who is incredibly proud of this wonderful show.  Mrs. White said she believes the show is progressing “really well. [The show is] really awesome.  We have a great cast and when you have a small cast everyone has to work together.  They’re doing a great job.”

The cast is small and has only sixteen actors.  Sophomore Katie Uphues, who is playing Audrey, is thrilled to have her first lead in a Nazareth production.  She says, “I am so excited!  I doubted if I was even going to make the show but once I saw that I had made it I literally screamed and I was close to tears.  It was insane!”  Katie’s understudy for the role of Audrey is freshman Gigi Meyer.  Gigi is the only freshman in the entire cast and when asked if this is difficult she replied, “It hasn’t been bad.  I mean yeah there’s none of my friends but that’s good because you totally meet new people by putting yourself out there.”  Both of these actresses are fantastic at portraying Audrey, but unfortunately there is not an understudy show this year.  It is certain though that we will be seeing more of these talented girls in future productions.

Now that you’ve gotten the inside scoop on Nazareth’s Production of “Little Shop of Horrors,” you have to come see it!  The performances are October 24 and 25 at 7 p.m and October 26 at 1 p.m.  The shows happen to be the weekend before Halloween.  What better way to get into the Halloween spirit than seeing this fun and creepy show?  So, don’t forget to buy your tickets and remember, don’t feed the plant!

Katie Uphues and Kyle Norbut as Audrey and Seymour
Garrett Allar and Kyle Norbut perform the song "Mushnik and Son"
Garrett Allar and Kyle Norbut perform the song “Mushnik and Son”